Proverbs are not always easy to translate as a literal translation might alter their meanings. However, some English proverbs do have similar meanings. Here is a list of Indonesian proverbs and their English equivalents.
- “Air tenang menghanyutkan.”
- English: Still water runs deep.
- “Alah bisa karena biasa.”
- English: Practice makes perfect.
- “Berakit-rakit ke hulu, berenang-renang ke tepian. Bersakit-sakit dahulu bersenang-senang kemudian.”
- English: No pain no gain.
- “Dimana ada kemauan, di situ ada jalan.”
- English: Where there is a will, there is a way.
- “Dikasih hati, minta jantung.”
- English: Give him an inch and he will take a yard.
- “Di mana bumi dipijak di situ langit di junjung.”
- English: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
- “Lebih baik satu burung di tangan daripada sepuluh burung di pohon.”
- English: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
- “Pikir dahulu pendapatan, sesal kemudian tidak berguna.”
- English: Look before you leap.
View original post 249 more words